Wednesday, May 25, 2011

New Opporutinities

January 2011

I have decided to get involved in a Jail ministry in PDC. This ministry has been in my heart, ever since I went to the jail in Cancun a few years ago. I felt called to visit a friend of a friend a couple of times, to share the good news with her! The bible study in Spanish (that I have been going to for 2 years) invited me to join them. This ministry began 3 years ago, and there are about 140 inmates participating now! The Holy Spirit has a way of drawing people. One man was working in the Carpenter’s area, watching the ministering team walk by every week. The group was always friendly with him as they passed by, on their way to the courtyard where the service is held. One day, he decided to attend, and now he shows up happy to sing, clap and worship the Lord! There are a few inmates, who lead us into worship once everyone has arrived. One plays the guitar, another plays the organ, while the others sing. It was a joy to hear their voices. The leader of our bible study (Luis), is doing a teaching on the beginnings of the Christian walk. He asks a few of us from the group, as well as the inmates, to read scriptures, pray & give testimonies. I like the way Luis gives many a chance to be involved. Testimonies are always encouraging & strengthening to both those who share and those who hear! I enjoy seeing their expression of emotions & praying the words God gives me throughout the entire visit. In the end, each person receives some bread (both spiritually & physically), along with either a roll of toilet paper or another toiletry. They are always so excited to shake our hands, smile at us, & exchange a few words. I know that God’s love is flowing through us to them. I believe that many of them now have new hope & will have a rock to stand on when they are released from this jail! Bringing some light into a dark place is a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment