Friday, January 22, 2010

In need of a doctor

I met Lalo on Thanksgiving Day at the Griggs’ casa. I had asked him to make “café de olla” (coffee prepared in a clay pot with cinnamon sticks and molasses - MMM!). Little did he know, he’d be asked to haul a dental chair to the village 5 weeks later. Lalo has a heart to lend a helping hand. He is the Coordinator of Volunteers at Angel Notion (A medical clinic, which is a non- profit organization in PDC).

Our first stop was to visit Alfredo, a 3 year old boy who is in need of medical attention. I wanted Lalo to meet the family to find out if a doctor at Angel Notion can help him. Lalo’s suggestion is for a General Doctor to come out to E.B. to see Alfredo, as well as others who are in need of a Doctor.

We arrived at casa #7 at dusk. Is there a doctor in the house?? I managed to walk into a clothesline, which happened to be a barbwire…OUCH! Actually, I didn’t feel much; but the blood dripping down my face called for some gauze and hydrogen peroxide. Thank God, I had recently brought some to casa #7! While Lalo gently cleaned the wound, I prayed for His peace. Everything that I experience in E.B. gives me a deeper understanding of the intensity of their needs. The closest doctor is 20 minutes away and costs $45 just for a consultation. If I had needed stitches, this would be do-able for me; but not as much for my Mayan friends. Although I already knew this, now I know how it feels to be in the situation. It’s a bit scary. Yes, perfect love casts out all fear… and, also, I was fortunate to be surrounded by 3 caring & comforting friends (Lalo, Lupe & Angel).

Let’s pray for a doctor to be willing to move out to E.B. or at least to make a monthly medical visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment